Kindergarten is a significant time in a child’s life. And there are certain things that you should teach your child before going to kindergarten, so that they can develop self-help skills and independence. Here is a list of 10 things that your child should know before going to kindergarten.
- Your child should know how to state their name when asked.
- Give your child an advantage by teaching them more than their ABC’s and 123’s. Teach your child to write their name using uppercase for the first letter and lowercase for the rest.
- Teach your child to use the appropriate three-finger grasp to properly hold pencils and crayons.
- Your child should know how to count to at least 30. You should also teach them what number comes before or after a given number.
- Your child should know the basic colors, i.e. red, blue, green, yellow, black, white, etc. You can teach your child using fun games at home.
- Your child should also be able to identify basic geometric shapes, such as circles, squares, triangles, rectangles, etc.
- Your child should be able to identify the numbers 1 to 10 in random order.
- Teach your child how to use their fingers to count items accurately.
- Teach your child how to handle getting what they need. It is important for them to take responsibility for themselves.
- Your child should know the concepts of print as in where the front and back of a book is which page is the first, and how to track words from left to right.
Kindergarten is an exciting time for your child. Make sure that they are prepared for their new adventure.